Bloomfield Public Library
90 Broad Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
The Bloomfield Public Library has been serving the community for over seventy years. John F. Capen, a local architect, was commissioned to draw plans for the 17,000 square foot colonial brick building which finally opened to the public in March, 1927.
The library has undergone a great deal of renovation since then. By 1963, the need for more space had become obvious. The year began with intensive planning and a search for funds. Finally, on September 5, 1967, the newly built adult library was opened to the public by The main floor of the original building was re-designated as the Children’s Library. The lower level became meeting room and staff areas. The meeting room became a theatre in 1969 and continues to be the site of many musical programs, films, lectures and children’s programs sponsored by the library and other groups.